Jean M. Hodges
Fairleigh Dickinson University – Florham Campus Madison, NJ 07940
Masters of Fine Arts in Creative Writing Sept. 1, 2021
Stockton University Galloway, NJ 08205
Bachelor’s Degree in Literary Studies &
Minor in Women & Gender Studies ( LGBT+ Studies) Dec. 16, 2018
RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE
The Literary Review Magazine Madison, NJ 07940
Graduate Assistant July 2019 – August 2020
- Reading writing submission to TLR magazine and providing feedback to lead editors
- Perform research on new features and titles for books and assist all executive editors in all editorial work.
- Perform all administrative tasks and proofread all manuscripts and publications and recommend corrections as required.
- Evaluate all publications and proofread all copies and ensure accuracy for each publication and make corrections to reports if required and organize and plan various projects.
Logisticare – Pennsylvania
(via The Bettinger Company: Professional Staffing Services) Philadelphia, PA 19102
Call Center Representative (Temporary) October 2019 — February 2020
- Assist customers with transportation questions and concerns
- Schedule, modify and cancel reservations as requested
- Ensure that all relevant customer information is documented
- Demonstrate sincere personal commitment to producing high quality work
- Refer unresolved customer grievances to designated department for further investigation and resolution
- Maintain a polite and courteous manner at all times , promote a positive working environment
Harris Teeter Bethesda, MD, 20814
Part-time Deli/Bakery Clerk April 2019 – September 2019
- Assisting shoppers at the deli counter by recommending foods, providing samples of meats and cheeses, cutting, weighing, packaging, and pricing meats and cheeses, and responding to customer inquiries and requests.
- Maintain clean work areas, update displays, and inform customers about specials, promotions, and new items.
Bakers use their understanding of ingredients and food preparation to craft recipes and create baked goods.
- Measure and mix raw ingredients, bake and decorate items, and ensure that all raw and finished goods adhere to quality and food safety standards.
Navy Exchange Bethesda Bethesda, MD 20814
Seasonal Cashier July 2017-January 2019
- Greets customers. Completes sales transactions accurately and efficiently. Performs all types of cash register transactions (cash, charge, check, layaway, etc.) in a procedurally correct manner. Accepts money, makes change, bags and wraps merchandise. Thanks customers for their patronage.
- Interacts with customers and coworkers in a friendly and professional manner, which includes adhering to NEX dress codes/uniform standards, and assisting/supporting sales team members to the maximum extent possible. Communicates with customers knowledgeably and legibly.
- Sells items located at checkout points, as assigned. Ensures merchandise is fully stocked, neatly arranged and attractively displayed. Communicates regularly with supervisor, store/services manager, etc. regarding fast and slow selling merchandise, customer preferences, needs, and problems.
School of Education Office in Stockton University Galloway, NJ 08205
Student Assistant May 2018 – December 2018
- Processes incoming and outgoing mail for Stockton’s School of Education Office
- Answers, screens and refers inquiries with potential students, various faculty, and incoming teachers with
- Provides photocopying and distribution services to student and faculty of Stockton University
- Ensures that copy machines remain operational (clearing jams, adding toner, etc.)
- Operates computer-based equipment
- Types routine correspondence, provides data entry services for secretaries and Dean of Students
- Maintains filing system (updating index, creating, updating and forwarding files, etc.)
- Maintains stock of office supplies and specialized forms
- Collates general information to Student of Education office faculty and staff as required
- Assists other office staff Student of Education office faculty and staff as required
- Picks up supplies on for the Student of Education office faculty and staff a periodic basis
Children’s Place Mays Landing, NJ, 08330
Associate Store Clerk June 2018 – August 2018
- Process apparel, greet customers and advise them of currents and the Place card
- Checking out customers as well as helping them with returns/exchanges
- Recommending merchandise to customers based on their needs or wants,
- Answering customers questions about merchandise, product prices, The Place Card, and my Rewards Card.
Sojourn Magazine Galloway, NJ 08205
Editing Intern September 2017-December 2017
- Edit, set type, and design the layout of Soujorn magazine in Adobe Indesign.
- Communicates with team members and supervisor on magazine edits
- Discusses best course of action for magazine setup and potential supplementary materials.
SKILLS & INTERESTS
Skills: 5+ years of experience in retail sales, office work, and within fresh food service. Proficient skill in Adobe Creative Suite, primarily in Adobe Indesign, Photoshop and Acrobat. Microsoft Office suite of products, including Windows, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Interests: Proven writing prowess across multiple genres and mediums, including fiction, poetry, screenwriting, playwriting, and web content. Basic skills in graphic design, web design, voice-over, voice-recording, and videography. Maintains a website portfolio full of original creative content.
PUBLISHED WORKS, GRANTS AND AWARDS
- Recipient of the Creative Entrepeneur Accelerator Grant from the Pennsylvania Council of The Arts. February 2022.
- Recipient of the Individual Artist Grant via the Illuminate the Arts Grant organization. August 2021.
- Review of Beatrix Urkowitz’s Comic, The Lover of Everyone in the World — Jean M. Hodges reviews Beatrix Urkowitz’s black-and-white comic, The Lover of Everyone in the World. Apr. 2021.
- Recipient of the Artist Relief Grant via Artist Relief , an initiative organized by the Academy of American Poets, Artadia, Creative Capital, Foundation for Contemporary Arts, MAP Fund, National YoungArts Foundation, and United States Artists. December 2020.
- Recipient of the COVID-19 Arts Aid PHL Grant via City of Philadelphia’s Office of Arts, Culture & the Creative Economy, the Greater Philadelphia Cultural Alliance and the Philadelphia Cultural Fund. August 2020.
- “Vintage, Third-Wave, Retro Sexy: An Interview And Review of Carta Monir’s Napkin”- an analysis article published in The Comics Journal, an online magazine that covers comics from around the world. July 2020.
- Recipient of the Emergency Gap Relief Fund for Philly’s Black Working Artists via The Village of Arts and Humanities. Apr. 2020.
- Recipient of the Pen America Writers’ Emergency Fund via Pen America Writers’ Emergency Fund. Apr. 2020.
- Recipient of the Philadelphia Writers Emergency Fund Grant via The Philadelphia Writers Emergency Fund, Apr. 2020.
- “The Monster and the Itch”, a short story. Winner of the Joseph Courter Fiction Award from the Stockton University. Apr. 2018
- “Being Black and Ace”, a personal essay published in Chicago Literari, a nonprofit literary magazine, Apr. 2017